Your house has been a great home over the years, but with life’s changes such as getting married, changing jobs, school zones changing, kids graduating, the aches and pains of getting older, etc., it is time to move on.
But is your house actually ready for the market? Have you kept it in great condition over the years? And is it current enough to attract buyers?
If you are wondering what you should do to prepare your home for the real estate market, here are five useful tips to get you started.
1. First Impressions Matter Most. Focus on your home’s curb appeal. That means power washing your house, driveway and sidewalks included. Spruce up the outside with fresh flowers and landscaping. Paint the front door and update exterior fixtures. Repair wood rot, windows, and damaged roofs.
2. Start Packing Now. Don’t wait to clear out clutter. If you don’t use it on a daily basis, you should pack it up or throw it away. Don’t put it in the garage, get a storage unit. Your Realtor® will be impressed that you are already on top of your game!
3. Light & Bright Sells. Paint interior walls in warm, neutral colors. Let in natural light. Heavy curtains, valances and drapes are out. Replace or remove tattered blinds. Use light fixtures that warm and brighten the space. Cut back trees and shrubbery that block out natural light.
4. Don’t Over Upgrade. Today’s buyers know what they want because they’ve already seen it—on TV and on websites likePinterestandHouzz. They expect hardwood floors, granite counter-tops, and updated fixtures. They want an open floor plan and usable space like drop areas, butler pantries, and more. But be careful when you upgrade to not over-improve compared to your neighbors unless you plan to stay awhile. Expect 3-5 years to earn your money back on major renovations. Sometimes painting a few key rooms and thoroughly cleaning or replacing old carpet is all your house needs.
5. The Kitchen Comes First. If you are going to upgrade your home, focus on the areas where you’ll get the best bang for the buck. A major kitchen renovation could get you 80% or more immediate return on your investment and make your home standout from others on the market.
We realtors always say that any house will sell for the right price. Just make sure that you are doing the things to make your home’s “right price” one you can live with!
Author:Mark Hendel - Broker In Charge Phone: 704-909-8688 Dated: July 26th 2018 Views: 148 About Mark: Mark Hendel
Broker In Charge
NC & SC Broker, REALTOR®
As President and Broker-In-Charge for Sk...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
Skyecroft Realty Group is Redefining Real Estate through • Knowledge • Experience • Dedication • Integrity
SkyeCroft Realty operates in such a way to challenge traditional real estate methods & mediocrity! Our highly attentive team is here to carefully navigate you through every detail of the real estate process with the utmost care, professionalism and value-added benefits. Every step made is with YOU in mind, both out in the market and behind the scenes to deliver a Superior, 5-STAR World Class experience like non other.